Texarkana Country Club began in 1914 with a nine-hole golf course with sand greens. The membership chose the prestigious architectural firm of Langford and Moreau from Chicago to design the current golf course in 1922. Mr. Langford is best known for his style of deep bunkers and sloping greens. After a renovation in the spring of 2000, the challenging layout now measures 6,935 from the championship tees but has definitely retained the flavor of its original design.
The playing surfaces of the course consist of Tifdwarf Bermuda-grass greens, Zoysia tees, hybrid Bermuda fairways and common Bermuda roughs. Maintained in “tournament condition” throughout the year, TCC has hosted numerous state amateur events. Other events include the prestigious Mid-South Cup Matches, the National Youth Classic and six Ben Hogan/Nike Tour events for the PGA tour.
Highlights of the course include gentle and subtle elevation changes, a beautiful lake on the front nine, meandering creeks on the back nine, tree-lined fairways and abundant sand and grass bunkers. At one time, Hole #14 was considered one of the top eighteen holes in the country and this beautiful dogleg-right par 4 is now referred to as “The All-American Hole.”
Our cherished history includes golfing legend Byron Nelson who served as Club Pro in 1934 prior to his outstanding career on the PGA Tour. Mr. Nelson would always practice on the TCC track prior to the Masters tournament referring to it as “little Augusta” due to the many similarities between the courses. Don Murphy then served as our Club professional for 41 years and was instrumental in developing many players, the most famous being Miller Barber. Mr. Murphy was also inducted into the Arkansas Golf Hall of Fame.