Driver Education Course
A Driver Education Course is offered to HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS ONLY through the Bowie-Cass Adult Education Cooperative at $170 per student.
To enroll in the program, a student must be at least 14 and turn 15 during Behind-The-Wheel instruction and may not be older than 17 years of age when class begins. The 32-hours of classroom instruction is taught in 2-hour segments for 16 days and usually takes two to three months to complete. Seven (7) hours will consist of In-Car instruction and seven (7) hours will be Behind-The-Wheel instruction. Our driving schedule is determined by birthdate with the oldest driving first. Driving practice is at the discretion of the Parent/Guardian and is most beneficial to the overall success of the students. Parents/Guardians must maintain a 30-hour Behind-The-Wheel Practice Log.
Driving Sessions include: Rural Driving, City Driving, Freeway Driving (enter/exit), Passing/Being Passed and Driving Skills Test. Driving Skills Test includes: Backing car 25 feet, Quick Stop, Lane Usage, Lane Change, Traffic Signs/Signals, Left/Right Turns, Blind Spot Checks, Soft Braking, Parallel Parking.
- Know Handbook Rules
- Have Attitude to Learn Good Habits
- Do Not Be Aggressive
- Follow Instructor’s Teaching
- Responsible for all Passengers in Car
- Do Not Drive Speed Limit
- Practice all you can between Drive Sessions
- Remember what you are Taught
- Be Able to Pass Driving Test at End of Course
- Familiarize Yourself with Handbook
- Begin 30-Hour Driving Log (at least 10 hours must be at night)
- Be an Example for the Young Driver
- Follow Law on Permit
- Stress Wearing Seat Belts Properly
- Follow Rules on Speed
- Spend Time with Student when in Driver Education
- Monitor Use of Vehicle after Driver Education
- Give Student all Experience Possible
Students must present their Social Security Card/Number at time of enrollment and their original Birth Certificate and Social Security Card on Examination day. Detailed brochures are available from the Bowie-Cass Adult Education Cooperative and the Texas High School Front Desk.
Registration & Location
TISD Adult Education & Literacy Program
905 Martine Street
Texarkana, Texas 75503
(Corner of Tucker Street & Johnson Avenue on the Texarkana College campus)