All students seeking admission will be evaluated based on academic, attendance and behavior standards. Applying students will be ranked according to a rubric score with the highest scoring students being offered available seats. In the event of a tied score, the final rank will be given priority based upon math assessment score, sibling status and TISD residency. If your student is not admitted for the current school year, we will begin the process again the following Spring. Any prior ranking will not be considered for future school years.
Openings that occur during the first grading period of the school year will be offered to the next student on the rank list. Due to the acceleration of the math curriculum, no students will be enrolled after the first grading period.
The Scoring Rubric will consist of the following.
- Reading and math readiness assessments will be given at Morriss Elementary School.
- Report Card grades in Math, Reading, Language Arts and Science for the current and previous school year.
- STAAR scores (grades 4-5) or other standardized test for the current and prior school year, if available.
- Full day absences and tardies will be evaluated for the current and prior school year
- Work habits and/or conduct grades from student’s report card for the current and prior school year in addition to any office referrals for the current or prior school year.
- Applicants applying for the upcoming kindergarten class who have a sibling currently enrolled in Kindergarten - Fourth Grade will receive additional scoring points on the rubric.
- TISD In-District students will receive additional scoring points on the rubric.
- Applicants who are children of Morriss Elementary School full-time staff will receive additional scoring points on the rubric.
In the event of a tied score, the final rank will give priority as follows:
- Score on math assessment
- Sibling of a Morriss Elementary student currently enrolled in Kindergarten – Fourth Grade
- TISD Resident